Rehabilitation of the Navarro-by-the-Sea Hotel
The full Historic Structure Report was completed by
Carey and Co. of San Francisco for the California Department of
Parks and Recreation. New discoveries concerned an original,
outside stairway on the east side; only a single front door on the west side of the front for the ca. 1865 building. Interior bathrooms, change to the interior stairs and addition of the
front porch, all date to ca. 1920-30 (probably after 1922 when the
Inn was sold outside of the family).
April 2: Initial architectural report with measured drawings was successfully completed by
Avila and Tom, Architects, of Oakland for Captain Fletcher’s Inn, ca.
1865, Navarro-by-the-Sea. The report was funded by a matching grant to NSCR from the California Endowed Fund of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The report paved the
way for the larger Historic Structure Report required prior to
October 14. Dedication of the temporary metal roof,
historic signboard and preliminary architectural report.
State Senator Wesley Chesbro, Clinton Smith (NSCR), Ric Morrisson (Chanties), Hillary Adams (CFS),
County Supervisor David Colfax (speaking)
The dedication event was co-sponsored by the California Department of Parks and Recreation (Supt. Greg
Picard), the Navarro-by-the-Sea Center for Riparian and Estuarine
Research (President: Clinton Smith), and The Charles Fletcher
Society (Chairperson Hillary Adams). Honored guests: Senator Wesley
Chesbro and Mendocino County Supervisor David Colfax. The Parks Dept. provided the housing design for the signboard. Historic photographs and research was supplied by The
Charles Fletcher Society. The photocopy display was to be temporary.
State Budget cuts of 2002 curtailed plans for a more permanent
signboard. See 2004
- March: The Navarro-by-the-Sea Center for Riparian
and Estuarine Research received a matching grant from California
Endowed Fund for Historic Preservation of the National Trust for
Historic Preservation, for a preliminary architectural report and
planning document for Capt. Fletcher’s Inn. Historical material was
supplied by Dr. Hillary Adams and The Charles Fletcher Society.
- December: A temporary metal roof was placed on the
building by the California Dept. of Parks and Recreation, with the
aid of a grant from the North Greenwood Community Assn.
October 29: Capt. Fletcher’s Inn was designated a
project of the Save America’s Treasures Program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The building was nominated by the North Greenwood Community Assn. (President: Hillary Adams). The nomination opened the way for preservation grants.